Monday, March 8, 2010

Meatless Monday

This week is about fast, cheap and easy. I LOVE my crock pot. With kids and work (even with one parent at home) there is never enough time to cook. I'll talk later about meal planning but once you become better at meal planning the crock pot can be your best friend. So this weeks Meatless Monday is a crock pot favorite and can be dressed up anyway you like but we make it kid friendly. It is grill cheese (preferably on a light wheat version of our artisan bread) and crock pot potato soup.

If you stick around long enough you will see that I am NOT the cook in the family and I have only a few items in my repertoire that I can make without a recipe. While this was a recipe I downloaded years ago I have cooked it so many times that I can tell you that there is no right or wrong way to make it... So, here goes.

I just buy several russets but dress it up with a sweet potato or maybe a few red potatoes skin and all. I put them chopped in big chunks in the crock pot with some vegetable broth. From here you can add anything you want for flavor.... salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic.. you get the picture. Cook on low all day or on high for 3-4 hours and then you can either mash it up by hand or I use my immersions blender. You can make it baked potato soup with a little cheese and sour cream or stay dairy free and just eat the soup as is. Some hearty toast or like I said we pair it with grill cheese :) mmmmm.... There's this weeks Meatless Monday - cheap and easy (what could be better than cheap potatoes and lots of leftovers).

No comments:

Post a Comment