Monday, September 20, 2010

Meatless Monday - Edamame

Our garden had been... well lets just say I'm so thankful this year that we have grocery stores. It has been a a colder than normal summer and the garden has suffered for it. Well, that and the fact that we have 2 kids.

Still, there have been a few plants that have made my summer happy. The way too many zucchini and the early artichokes and strawberries were again the early highlight of the summer...but here at the end - the item that made my week last week was our edamame.

Every summer I have a hard time getting it going with birds constantly pick at my seeds I'm amazed that I even have plants. Then magically at the end of the summer these little bushes make the sweetest dinner side with just a quick steam and a little salt. My kids love them and they are so they are the highlight of my meatless Monday post this week. You can put them in salad, have them as a side, put them in soup, add them to your meal (they are awesome added to burritos - really). And if you want to grow your own then next summer check out a few varieties sold to grow locally from places like Territorial Seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment